Senate Inquiry into Landholders’ Right to Refuse (Gas and Coal) Bill 2015This Bill proposed by Senator Larissa Waters:
- provides that Australian landholders have the right to refuse the undertaking of gas and coal mining activities by corporations on their land without prior written authorisation;
- sets out the requirements of a prior written authorisation;
- provides for relief which a court may grant a land owner when prior written authorisation is not provided;
- prohibits hydraulic fracturing for coal seam gas, shale gas and tight gas by corporations;
- and provides for civil penalties.
Senate Inquiry into Environmental OffsetsA Senate Inquiry was launched in March 2014 to investigate "the history, appropriateness and effectiveness of the use of environmental offsets in federal environmental approvals in Australia". Co-owner of Bimblebox Nature Refuge, Paola Cassoni, made a submission and appeared before the Inquiry Committee. You can view Paola's submission here, and her address to the Inquiry Committee here.
Waratah Coal's EIS and Supplementary EISThe public was invited to make comments on Waratah Coal's EIS in 2011 and Supplementary EIS (SEIS) in 2013. There was a huge response in both instances. The Queensland Coordinator General's office received over 1800 submissions on the EIS and around 4000 submissions on the SEIS. The vast bulk of these were written in support of Bimblebox. A number of Bimblebox Nature Refuge supporters have given their permission for their submissions to be posted here, along with submissions from the Bimblebox Team and co-owners of Bimblebox Nature Refuge.
SUBMISSIONS on Waratah Coal's EIS (a sample from more than 1800, received by the Queensland Government)
- Members of the Bimblebox Team - body and appendices
- Bimblebox Nature Refuge co-owners
- Former Bimblebox Owner
- The Australia Institute
- Capricorn Conservation Council Inc.
- Doctors for the Environment Australia (DEA)
- Greenpeace Australia Pacific
- Humane Society International
- Lock the Gate Alliance
- National Parks Association of Queensland (NPAQ)
- Queensland Conservation Council
- Wildlife Preservation Society of Qld_Upper Dawson Branch